Tuesday, July 05, 2005

thirty-three/fifty-two

Just finished my first-ever book on CD: Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company, read by Mr. Martin himself. Now, I never read Shopgirl, although I know it's allegedly great and everything, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought maybe Martin's novels were crappy little vanity projects.

So I was pleasantly surprised to discover I liked Company. And I'm glad I listened to it instead of reading it, because Martin's voice fits the character of Daniel quite well.

Daniel is a neurotic guy in his late twenties, in love with a realtor he's never met. Which seems sort of creepy at first -- actually, it seemed creepy throughout his entire infatuation. I liked Daniel because he's a character you don't LIKE all the time; sometimes he seems like a jackass, sometimes a little creepy, sometimes way too melodramatic. But he can also be a very sympathetic character, charming in a nebbishy way.

The story was pretty good, too, it was fun to follow all the twisty turns it took. The ending was a little too neat for me -- I think I would have liked it better if the last chapter was left off -- but all in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable novel. And now I'm on the hook for Shopgirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment