Tuesday, July 26, 2005

thirty-seven/fifty-two

embroideriesWhat good is a vacation without at least one comic book? I still have that same old problem with falling asleep while reading in the van, but I've discovered that reading in small bites helps out a little bit. Embroideries, by Marjane Satrapi, is actually a small enough book that I finished the whole thing without dozing off.

The setting for Embroideries is a little gossip session between Satrapi's female family members and friends, and it covers all of the stuff that an Iranian woman's life is made of. The scope of is a lot smaller than that of the two Persepolis novels, and it seems more lighthearted, although the subject matter is serious at times. Satrapi seems to be showing rather than telling, which I like.

I did like the two Persepolis books more, but I think this book stands alone pretty well and doesn't suffer too badly in comparison. It's worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment