Tuesday, July 26, 2005

thirty-eight/fifty-two

i'm not the new meI love it when a writer I follow in this sometimes-awkward online medium puts out a book. I think Wendy McClure's stuff on Pound is great (and I always love her BUST columns), so I picked up I'm Not the New Me for some light-ish vacation reading. It was even better than I expected it to be.

It's a memoir, mostly about weight loss, also touching on the weird things that happen when you have a website, and the weird things that happen when you have a love life. It's sometimes sad and sometimes messy, but most of the time it's damn funny. And the ending isn't all tied up in a bow, like it would be if this were a glossy movie instead of real life. McClure is very easy to relate to, and she has a way with the written word that makes the whole book fly by.

I know my description makes it sound like a bad chick-lit novel, but it really is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment