Wednesday, June 29, 2005

thirty-two/fifty-two

I was sitting there trying to figure out how to get to the next book in the Otori series without losing my momentum, when a huge Duh Lightning Bolt hit me and I checked out the library's catalog. They have both of the other books in the trilogy, although book two is categorized as YA and book three is not, which I find kind of weird.

So I've now finished Grass for His Pillow, also by Lian Hearn, and while it dragged a little in some spots, I still liked it a lot. I've seen a few complaints over the switch in voice -- from first person for Takeo's parts to third person for Kaede's parts -- but it doesn't really bother me.

Okay, in this one Takeo is trying to figure out how to fulfill all his obligations -- to the Tribe and as an Otori -- and he's also mooning over Kaede, of course. And Kaede has returned to her father's home to find everything completely effed up. The parts that drag are mostly the parts where Takeo is travelling somewhere; unfortunately, that's, like, half of his part of the book. Or it seemed that way, anyway. I just ended up skimming those parts, I'm such a lazy reader.

Hearn still kind of glossed the surface of Takeo's motivations and abilities, etc., but it kind of fits his (Takeo's) voice, so I'm not minding that so much, either.

I got about halfway through the book before anyone glanced over ironically. Then it was like Hearn had to make up for not using the word until then. Ach, I just find it funny now instead of being annoyed by it. Everyone needs a tic, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment