Friday, June 17, 2005

thirty/fifty-two

Still reading. Just ignore my snail-ishness.

Sarah Vowell's The Partly Cloudy Patriot is a collection of her essays; most of them have a political or historical bent. They were enjoyable; I didn't LOVE the book, but it was good.

I don't really have a lot to say about it, which is so evil of me, I know. I mostly read this because it was sitting on my TBR shelf and I was hearing so much about Assassination Vacation that I wanted to find out what Vowell's voice was like. I like her (writing) voice a lot, actually, she's very accessible without dumbing it down, and she's geeky without trying to hide it. Plus, sarcasm. Nothing bad there.

My own geek moment came when she mentioned that one of her friends was named Doug and worked on "Buffy" and I immediately knew who she was talking about. NERD!

Anyway, a good book, if not a life-changing book. I'm going to try out another of her collections, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment