Friday, March 18, 2005

twenty-two/fifty-two

Okay, so now that I've bitched and moaned all over creation about this book, it's not that hard to see which way this reviewlet's going to go.

Boo to F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and Damned. Actually, now that I'm a few days removed from it, I have to say it wasn't that bad. Fitzgerald's writing took a while to get into -- it was really dense most of the time and he had a put in a lot of (dated, obviously) popcult references.

The characters, though, holy crap, I wouldn't be able to stay in the same room with them for more than two minutes, if that. Snobbish, lazy, disagreeable, with a giant hit of feeling the world owes them a living. The main characters (Anthony and Gloria), anyway. The secondaries seemed to be okay, if still a bit snobby at times.

I think Anthony and Gloria ruined the whole thing for me. I actually liked the story, though, and by the end of the book, I kind of enjoyed Fitzgerald's writing style; I think I'm going to try another of his just to give him a fair shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment