Wednesday, March 09, 2005

twenty-one/fifty-two

Back to the short stories . . .

Anything You Say Can and Will Be Used Against You, by Laurie Lynn Drummond, is a collection of stories all told by female cops. (excerpt) I really like the way Drummond writes, and these stories were very compelling -- I couldn't put the book down. A few spots got a little too gruesome for me (the end results of torture, for example), but it wasn't like the whole book was nothing but cruelties. The stories are each narrated by one woman, and it was interesting seeing how Drummond wove all their stories together a little bit; for example, one narrator trains a rookie (whose name is mentioned in passing) who has a couple of stories later on in the book.

I've had a run of good reading luck lately. I have to finish a few more library/just-bought books, then it's on to my backlog of waiting books. I already have them sorted and ready to go (in my head, but that still counts, right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment