Monday, March 07, 2005

trippy

I haven't read a book on a trip in a while, because our trips are by car and for some reason for the past few years I've been unable to read during long car trips. I either get too sleepy to read or I start feeling carsick. This was never a problem for me growing up, and it's really annoying now that we have to make three or four long trips (12 to 14 hours) a year. Bah. Sometimes I lay on the floor of the van and that works okay, but I'm too paranoid about car accidents to do it for more than five minutes. ANYWAY, I'd read long, complicated books that would take hold of you and not let go for a few hours if I could read during these trips. So here's my list (it would be longer, but I've misplaced my old book reviews and my memory sucks) of roadworthy books:

* Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson
* The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
* The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
* The Other Boleyn Girl, The Queen's Fool, The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory (in that order)
* The Secret History by Donna Tartt

and I hate that all my Already Read books are packed up, because I know there are more, but I can't remember them.

Of course, those are all kind of thick books and heavy if you're going by air and not car. On the fluffier/not-as-bricky side of roadworthy, I think:

* I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
* Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
* His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman

would all be good. And then of course there's the fluffy-fluffy stuff, but that's another list and one that's a lot more subjective. Chick lit vs. mysteries vs. graphic novels, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment