Monday, March 07, 2005

eighteen/fifty-two

The Bone Lady: Life As a Forensic Anthropologist (by Mary Manhein) is a quick little read; it was recommended to me after I said good things about Stiff, and I expected it to be along the same lines.

It wasn't. I liked it a little better, actually. This is closer to a memoir than an investigative piece of work -- it's like a memoir combined with a book of short stories. Manhein's cases are mixed in with the history of forensic anthropology and her own personal history, and the results are quite nice. You can tell that Manhein really digs (hehehe) her job.

I kind of wish the book had been longer, that's my only complaint. It seemed like an abridged version of a longer book. But really, if that's the worst I can come up with, how bad can it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment