Monday, March 14, 2005

that easy procrastinating feeling

So while I'm avoiding Gloria and Anthony and their infuriating senses of entitlement, I'll name my current top three cookbooks:

3. It's All American Food: The Food We Really Eat, the Dishes We Will Always Love by David Rosengarten. This is not the best cookbook ever, but the diversity of dishes is lovely, and this weekend it's the only place I could find a good creamy sausage gravy recipe. Even the old Southern Hospitality cookbook didn't have one. It's All American Food is good for ideas if nothing else.

2. Jack Bishop's A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. My favorite vegetarian cookbook. This is actually the only one I have that I've cooked anything from yet. I like to look through Anna Thomas's The Vegetarian Epicure, but I LOVE to cook from Bishop's book. The recipes are accessible and so effing delicious.

1. Appetite by Nigel Slater. Oh, I wanted this book for so long, and it's one of those rare things that was worth the wait. I just looked through it Thursday and I've already made two dinners from it. And both of them were good.

I think Nigel Slater has replaced Nigella Lawson as my favorite British cookbook author. That might also have something to do with the story I heard on GetCrafty about Lawson acting snobbish when presented with a gift from a craftista. But I think I also am kind of tired of seeing photos of her swanning around looking sexy. It's like the food takes a back burner to her hotness. I mean, I think she's sexy, but that's not going to make the food taste better. And her recipes usually have one ingredient that I don't have and can't get, and it drives me batty.

Slater has a very down-to-earth writing voice, not cutesy, but not technical. I love it. And I love the way he puts food together. I liked Real Fast Food, too; it introduced me to the wonders of baked fruits last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment