Saturday, February 12, 2005

twelve/fifty-two

When Did You Stop Loving Me by Veronica Chambers, and no, I didn't leave off the question mark.

Okay, that thing that sticks with me the most about this book is the design. It's beautiful. The story's narrator, Angela, is the daughter of a magician, and every chapter begins with a few words tumbling out of a top hat. The paragraph breaks are card suits -- hearts, spades, clubs, diamonds. It could be considered cheese-licious, I guess, but I love it. Even the typeface is pretty.

The story: Angela's mom leaves Angela (age 11) and her magician dad, and they learn to cope. That's basically it. It's a good, quick read, and it doesn't feel like you wasted your time after you're done. I especially enjoyed all the popcult references (and there are many).

There's an in-depth bookreporter.com review here, if you want more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment