Friday, February 25, 2005

sixteen/fifty-two

Oh, man. I feel bad about this one, because I've read Zoe Trope's LiveJournal every now and then, and she seems like a pretty cool person.

So I read Please Don't Kill the Freshman. It's all angsty and full of veiled meanings and deep imagery and I liked it for the first 50 pages or so. But then I should have taken a break.

It's the story of Zoe's (it's a pseudonym, in case you didn't know) freshman and sophomore years in high school. She has tons of male friends, mostly gay, she falls in love with a girl who decides to be a boi, she deals with the perils of publishing after her chapbook (also named PDKTF) is successful.

The problem I had with it was getting bored with the prose. If I had taken it section by section, broken it up into four days' worth of reading instead of one, it would have been okay, I think. But I read it too fast, and it lost its charm. For me, personally, anyway -- I know there are people who would devour this in one sitting and want more more more.

I would have loved this book when I was seventeen.

No comments:

Post a Comment