Friday, February 04, 2005

nine/fifty-two

Instead of watching the State of the Union address and clawing at the screen like an angry badger, I read a book Wednesday night. It was a small one, a thin little memoir. Exactly what I needed to take my mind off of all the badger-making stuff.

Ambulance Girl by Jane Stern has a blurb on the front cover that says, "How I Saved Myself by Becoming an EMT" and that pretty much covers it all. I had heard Stern's name mentioned in passing before -- in connection to different kinds of food writing, especially offbeat food writing -- but had never read any of her work. I really enjoyed this book; in it, Stern shares how she conquered her depression and anxiety by becoming an EMT in her small town's volunteer service. It was good, well written and funny and Stern isn't afraid to make fun of herself or let herself look a little bad.

And hey, it's supposedly being made into a Lifetime movie starring Kathy Bates, so how bad can it be? I think Kathy Bates is an excellent choice, actually. And even if it ends up being bad, you know, there's nothing quite as good as a disastrously bad Lifetime movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment