Friday, February 04, 2005

eight/fifty-two

Numero ocho: Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell's A Dark-Adapted Eye.

As far as mysteries go, this was pretty tame. It won an Edgar award in 1986, which I didn't know until I read a review after reading the book. (I'm glad I read the review afterward, because the cover on the book they chose to show kind of gives away one of the main plot points.)

Vine's novel is pretty mannered and the sentence structure can make it a little hard to get into (it's set in England in 1940) unless you're used to that sort of writing. The story itself was pretty good; it's mainly about two sisters, one of whom is hanged, and the reason for that is slowly revealed as you go further into the novel. I liked The Brimstone Wedding better, but this one was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment