Wednesday, February 16, 2005

tic tic tic

I keep forgetting to mention this: one of the things I noticed about The Virgin's Lover that really annoyed me was the repeated use of certain adverbs. Mostly having to do with speaking. It would be okay if it was throughout the book, probly not even noticeable, but these were, like, within a page of each other.

I noticed it once at the beginning, although I can't remember what the particular adverb was; but I do know that it was Amy and Robert Dudley. Then it was obvious again about two-thirds of the way through the book, when one of the characters' wife says something "shrewdly," then on the next page, that character also says something "shrewdly."

Know what I mean? I thought it was odd that nobody had caught that in the editing stage. Maybe it's only annoying to me, maybe I'm just too persnickety.

No comments:

Post a Comment