Friday, February 25, 2005

fifteen/fifty-two

Ach, I've been putting off reviewing #15 and #16.

The first one, Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, was good, actually. The only thing that bothered me was the way he used the word "rape" in describing . . . uh, stealing food or something, I don't remember exactly what it was. Sorry. I read it about a week ago. Obviously it bothered me enough that the irritation stuck with me, though. I had no problem with his constant swearing throughout the book, it seemed real to me and not just thrown in there.

As for the book's purpose, it's about how Bourdain fell in love with food, started working with it, screwed his life up with drugs, got it back together, and became a pretty damn good chef. Interesting.

I'd been wanting to read this one for about a year now; I don't know if it was worth all that yearning, but it was good for what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment