Wednesday, February 16, 2005

fourteen/fifty-two

I kind of liked Haven Kimmel's Something Rising (Light and Swift) and I kind of didn't. I liked the story, for the most part -- Cassie is a pool player (a really good one), and this is her coming-of-age story.

Honestly, half of the characters seemed like assholes to me. There were large chunks of the book where it seemed like Kimmel was being obscure and dense just to make her writing seem more artsy, although I'm sure that's just my own perception of it. I mean, I get that Belle and Laura (Cassie's sister and mom, respectively) are on a different plane and their brains work strangely, and I could get where their "unique" perspectives were coming from most of the time, but sometimes it felt like a bunch of words were thrown together prettily and chewily regardless of their sense-making. Aside from that, I enjoyed Kimmel's writing.

I appreciated that Cassie's coming-of-age tale was not focused on finding a man; I'm always wary of female coa stories because the boyfriend hunt usually plays a fairly major role, and it gets old after a while.

It was good enough to talk me into trying another of Kimmel's books, just to give her a fair shake, but by the end of this one I was only reading out of a feeling of duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment