Monday, January 10, 2005

sometimes I hate the English language

I'm reading Bel Canto and really enjoying it. HOWEVER, someone needs to wake up an editor somewhere and let her/him know that it's not a VILE of medicine, it's a VIAL. I actually had to sit back for a minute after that one and take some deep breaths. Maybe I shouldn't read so late at night (I have little to no patience at the end of the day), but I was really liking Patchett's story. Damn typos.

Sometimes I wish they didn't bother me so much. Other times I get a little bitchy because I don't see why someone's getting PAID to miss so many glaring errors.

For example: the BtVS story I read a couple of years ago that had so many typos, including incorrect spellings of MAJOR CHARACTERS' NAMES and "facts" about the major characters that were way off-base, that I seriously considered writing to somebody and offering to go through the thing and send them a marked-up copy. I mean, someone approved the thing. WHY? I know seven bucks is not a fortune, but I don't pay for books so that I can sit down for three hours and grind my teeth.

(I want to say that the book was The Wisdom of War, but I'm not 100% sure. It had "sea monsters" in it, but I don't remember it being one of Golden's books. Unless I've blocked that part out because I still want to like Golden.)

No comments:

Post a Comment