Monday, January 31, 2005

six/fifty-two

I remember reading Lorrie Moore's Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?, thinking, "Okay, I know this is good, I know this is supposed to be brilliant writing and I'm supposed to be wowed, but I just don't get it. I don't like it, it doesn't work with my brain." That's the exact same way I felt reading Things You Should Know by A.M. Homes.

I know I should love this book, this should be one of those "This was a great short story collection, and I loved it because . . . " reviewlets, but I didn't like it, it didn't touch me, I didn't get it. The stories were dark and sometimes strange, bizarre things happened in them, and they all seemed to revolve around need. Sounds like something I'd like, but no. I read the whole collection, but only because they were short stories and I'd just given up on another book, and I didn't want to start a book-quitting trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment