Friday, January 21, 2005

four/fifty-two

Ah, I love a good non-fiction account that draws me into an event that I normally would not give a rat's ass about.

The Devil in the White City mixes two things together: the story of the 1893 World's Columbian Expedition and the story of a serial killer who used the Fair to his advantage. Erik Larson wrote the book, and he wrote it well. The story was interesting -- a little bit melodramatic as far as the writing style goes, flowery adjectives and the like, but it was good melodrama. Pretty words.

If you go here, you can find some information about the debut (and eventual demise) of the Ferris Wheel, which I found to be one of the more interesting parts of the Fair that Larson discussed. There's also a good review of the book on that site, written by someone who has just a leeetle more knowledge than I do about the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment