Monday, December 20, 2004

maybe true, not so outstanding

Finished The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson (somewhat gushing review here), a story about a woman, Olivia, whose sister is diagnosed with leukemia. Olivia is in the middle of trying to get a movie based on Don Quixote made while she deals with her sister's illness. It's told entirely through letters and e-mails, which is a gimmick that I actually like a lot when it's used well. It was used pretty well here, for the most part, although the letters to Olivia's friend Tina made her sound a little passive-aggressive and condescending. Olivia actually seems kind of annoying all in all, which isn't something I'm used to in a protagonist, but I wouldn't want to read about some idealized woman's life and reaction to tragedy, so it worked for me.

In the end, it was an okay book. Not anything I'd give as a gift, but I'd give it away to a friend who had time to kill.

For books with a sisterly theme, I prefer Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment