Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I haven't forgotten how to read!

I wasn't sure if I'd ever finish a book again, but today I did it! See, since we moved in (last week), the only books I've had unpacked are cookbooks, so I've been reading them here and there when I needed some written word. I finally got the (forty or so) books that I've bought since moving into my parents' basement unpacked Monday. After being spoiled by all the recipes and anecdotes in the cookbooks I'd been reading, I craved some food writing, and luckily, Ruth Reichl's Tender at the Bone (excerpt) was there to help a girl out. Reichl's writing voice is a nice, down-to-earth, friendly one, and the story itself was interesting enough that I finished the book in two days (including staying up late reading on Tuesday night, which I haven't done in months and months). Plus, I love any book which includes recipes for dishes mentioned in the story (with the exception of Cooking for Mr. Latte, I should add). This book deserves the highest praise I can give it: I want to read more. Next up (maybe I can luck out and thrift store it like this one) is Comfort Me with Apples, in which Reichl continues her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment