Monday, December 27, 2004

and the cover was so pretty

I finished Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris over, well, the holidays. It was pretty funny, full of nice and bitingly dry wit. The book is a collection of six Christmas stories. My favorite was "The Santaland Diaries." (I'm pretty sure that's what almost everyone says, but who am I to go against the flow?) By the end of the book, I was in that mood where I JUST WANT TO FINISH, ALREADY, but I'm not sure whether to blame Sedaris for that or the incredibly unlively party I had just attended. The stories just kind of went on for too long, which is okay when you're reading someone whose voice you just can't get enough of, but in this instance, it didn't work. Which is really strange, because Sedaris's humor is the kind I like.

Oh, I take it back. My favorite part of the book was actually the back-of-the-book blurb:

"HOLIDAYS ON ICE collects six of David Sedaris' most profound Christmas stories into one slender volume perfect for use as a last-minute coaster or ice scraper. This drinking man's companion can be enjoyed by the warmth of a raging fire, the glow of a brilliantly decorated tree, or even the backseat of a van or police car. It should be read with your eyes, felt with your heart, and heard only when spoken to. It should, in short, behave much like a book. And, oh, what a book it is!"

No comments:

Post a Comment